A former San Antonio Spurs clinical psychologist has agreed to settle a lawsuit filed against the franchise and Joshua Primo, the 2021 lottery pick released by the team last month after being accused of repeated acts of indecent exposure.
“The parties have agreed to resolve this matter,” attorney Tony Buzbee, who represents Dr. Hillary Cauthen, told ESPN in an email. “The whole thing is over and we have no further comment.”
Cauthen filed the lawsuit on October 3, alleging that Primo exposed herself to her nine times during private sessions and that the franchise “disregarded her repeated reports” of the incidents.
According to the lawsuit, Cauthen first reported Primo’s misconduct to Spurs management in January. Her tenure with the organization ended when her contract was not renewed in August.
Primo, the No. 12 pick in the 2021 draft, was released less than three weeks after the Spurs exercised his third-year team option, guaranteeing him a $4.3 million salary for the 2023-24 season.
“The situation regarding Josh Primo is a matter we take seriously,” Spurs CEO RC Buford said in a statement released Thursday. “Since we learned of the allegations, we have taken and are taking steps to ensure that all parties involved are treated with dignity and respect. We know we owe that to Dr Cauthen, our players, our staff and our community.
“As an organization, we continually evaluate and refine our processes so that they ultimately reflect the values and culture of who we aspire to be every day. To that end, we decided to partner with Dr. Cauthen and other experts in an effort to review and improve our workplace processes and procedures “This is a learning opportunity for us, and one that we’re sure will benefit us.”